Sunday, March 1, 2009

Drinking Life In

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to amazement. I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms. When it is over, I don't want to wonder if I have made of my life something particular, and real. I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened, or full of argument. I don't want to end up simply having visited this world."

Mary Oliver

It is not uncommon for us to be so preoccupied with what is wrong in life or in the world that we simply ignore and take for granted what is beautiful, precious and deserves our wonder and gratitude. Leaders who are filled with curiosity and wonder tend also to be most visionary and passionate about their life's purpose and their areas of stewardship. Interesting!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cindy, you know how much I love Mary Oliver. That is such a great line! So the more I live, the more I see that it comes down to perception. It's a fine line, to walk between fear of missing the "right" path and being open to experience the fog on the path as a part of the bigger picture.

Unknown said...

"But you never know, traveling, around what bend the dreams will curve to an end, and what will happen then."

From Mary Oliver's "Dreams"

waa said...

I that when I focus on what is wrong I often walk by what is right without noticing. When I do this all of my relationships including my relationship with me suffer. I find that focusing on what is right and good with me and with the world minimizes what is wrong or difficult. Minimally it puts it in perspective. This is especially true when I am faced with a leadership challenge. waa