Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Discovery: What's right for me?

I had the opportunity to talk with Wayne Dyer last week and his thoughts caused me, again, to think about how I can live in continual higher purpose and the paths that get me there. In the meantime, I have had a few questions from others who read this blog regarding life's paths: "How do I find the path for me?" and "Is there really a right or wrong path?" I'd like to provide just a quick thought on both of these, knowing that there will be more to say and greater perspective to add -- I hope only to start the internal dialogue.

Generally, the feeling of "there is something more or something missing" is a sign that you have not found yet the path you desire and of greatest contribution. I say "you desire" because it is all about your inner voice and no one else. As for how we "find it" perhaps poetry will provide food for thought. Poetry lives in the wellspring of the human spirit and therefore can call forth our own inarticulate knowings or the fire at our center without platitudes or pretense:

"to live is to work, and the only thing which lasts
is the work; start then, turn to the work."
"Throw yourself like a seed as you walk, and into your own field,
don't turn your face for that would be to turn it to death,
and do not let the past weigh down your motion."
"Leave whats alive in the furrow, whats dead in yourself,
for life does not move in the same way as a group of clouds:
from your work you will be able one day to gather yourself."
Miguel de Unamuno

We find our path and paths by "doing the work" -- most of which is in listening, paying attention and then in moving forward.

This leads us to the final question, "Is there a wrong path for me?" Again, only you can determine the answer. If you have had urgings or inklings of something calling you to pay attention and you have turned away, then it may be, you are on the wrong path for you or at least a path that will not bring you the most fulfillment, happiness and joy.

"One day you finally knew what you had to do, and began..."
(It is one thing to know what you need to do; it is another to actually begin doing it)
"Well, there is time left - fields everywhere invite you into them.
And who will care, who will chide you if you wander away
from wherever you are, to look for your soul?
Quickly, then, get up, put on your coat, leave your desk!...
Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"
Mary Oliver

You are the author of your life, and only you know what you must do and must not do! One thing is for sure for me,
"I am not done with my changes" Stanley Kunitz

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cindy, thank you for the prompt towards clarity this morning. I was searching and did not realize how much until I read this today. I very much appreciate the time that you take to be thoughtful and write something that prompts deeper thought and insight into what is most important to me. with appreciation...

Anonymous said...

Cindy, thanks for this thoughtful post this morning. I was thinking about how important it is that we recongnize our purpose within our chosen profession regardless of what that is. We can all experience purpose in the things that we do everyday. I love that the profession that we choose can be viewed as a calling that we can excel at with respect and dignity. This quote along with your blog this morning really put it front and center for me.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

With respect, waa

Unknown said...

I loved my sister in law's comments yesterday on her blog. she said that a wise woman told her, "It's not about you, dear! It's about you in relationship to others." She also said, commenting on her struggle to help Rose get through her treatment: "The intent can so easily get lost in the details that come at you in the day." I find that so true in my relationships! And I guess the work is only good if you are in harmony with your relationships.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate Laurany's comments. "It's not about you, dear", and "The intent is so easily lost in the details". Both of these thoughts have so much to do with the "listening" you refer to.