Sunday, March 29, 2009

Personal Peace

"It is a curious commentary on human nature that men who cry for peace look upon peace as something that may be picked as an apple from a tree, something that lies about within easy reach of humanity. If I picked an apple from my tree, I first planted the tree, cared for it, watered it, brought it to maturity. Then in due time I may have fruit. So it is with peace..."
John A Widstoe

This thought, written in 1946, fits our world even more perfectly today, perhaps. It seems many are looking to others, to forces outside, to bring "peace." Unfortunately as a general public, we have gotten away from some of the simple lessons that growing trees, gardens, or running farms teach us; that the harvest comes with hard work. So it is with our internal life, to consistently experience peace and fulfillment is a result sustained only by our choices, actions and thoughts.

Here are some questions to ponder:

(Note: One of the ways we sustain peace and personal alignment is by taking time regularly to ponder and reflect)
  • How can I activate the feeling of peace more fully in my life (yes, even work life)?
  • Would others say my interactions with them are uplifting and grounding? How often?
  • Do my activities and pursuits (work/home/other) provide fulfillment and personal peace? Why or Why not?

"Who can open the door who does not reach for the latch?" -- M. Oliver

PS: You would be surprised by the number of people who read this blog and who also read the comments. Comments enrich us all, so don't be shy! Keep the conversation going...

4 comments:

Cynthia Adams said...

I had a thought after writing this post. One of the things I have learned about being a better “experience of peace for others” and personally grounded is to keep my "plate" from being too overloaded. (This is a constant challenge) When I manage my priorities and leave "white space" for people and unforeseen events I am much more intuitive and capable of providing people a result that is helpful, uplifting and insightful.

mamabear said...

I have often thought about the law of the harvest. Many crops keep producing as you keep harvesting. I wonder if that is the same with peace. The more peace you harvest, the more peace you will have available to harvest.

Rob Lange said...

For me, peace is a close relative of satisfaction...one enhances the other. So, when I feel the satisfaction of achieving goals, avoiding contention, expressing love, giving service, reaching out. When I am satisfied that I am on track and my loved ones are cared for, I experience an extra measure of peace. Thanks again for your blog!

lminnick said...

Your quote from John Widstoe spoke to my soul. All my life I have thought of peace as a destination. As I have grown older, I have realized that, for me, peace is the journey. My own personal peace is added upon one day at a time with knowledge and wisdom gained from life's experiences and hope and faith in my deepest convictions.