Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Embracing the Paradox

Oriah Mountain Dreamer, a beautiful poet, wrote this wonderful piece regarding the paradoxes we live in, live through and live with, in our lives. As I follow along my own path, I find her words to be filled with truth, wisdom and humor.

“This is the reality we live: aspiring to be our best, longing for and sometimes finding meaning and connection within ourselves and that which is larger than ourselves, we are undone by messy bathrooms, traffic jams, and burnt toast. I am not interested in a spirituality that cannot encompass my humanness….Beneath the small daily trials are harder paradoxes, things that the mind cannot reconcile but the heart must hold if we are to live fully: profound tiredness and radical hope; shattered beliefs and relentless faith; the seemingly contradictory longings for personal freedom and a deep commitment to others, for solitude and intimacy, for the ability to simply be with the world and the need to change what we know is not right about how we are living.”

Doesn’t it all come down to handling the small things like burnt toast? I find that rather than "fighting" with paradox and "beating myself up" for not always living in my best self, that evolving my perspective is more likely to come as I recognize the grace provided in all of life’s experiences and embrace the entirety of the paradox created (by design or by default) in my journey.

As always, I look forward to your insight and thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I have forwarded your website to a couple of my friends, so they can read it. Mom