Sunday, November 8, 2009

Conscious Practice

“If I don't practice one day, I know it; two days, the critics know it; three days, the public knows it.”

Jascha Heifetz became an unparalleled violinist; born with a divine gift he started playing the violin at three years old and played for the first time in the United States at Carnegie Hall in New York at the age of 16. He is widely regarded as one of the finest violinists of all time and continues to be admired for his immaculate technique and a tonal beauty that many violinists still regard as unequaled.

Perhaps this serves as a dramatic and simple example of Aristotle’s words, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

It may well serve us to be very conscious about our own practices, by determining:
  1. What are my chosen practices, the things I repeatedly do, to ensure a habit of excellence?
    For example, I know for me that in order to be playing at the top of my game professionally and as a mom, I must incorporate weekly and even better daily, the practice of meditation, reflection, exercise, prayer and learning or I find myself slipping from center ground.
  2. Am I conscientiously staying “in those practices” in such a way that I am consistently moving toward a manifestation of gifts given and my potential?
  3. Do I know how long does it takes me to notice when I am “not” practicing and do I have conscious triggers to ensure I get back on track quickly?
  4. AND, if I have lost the rigor of consistency in my life for awhile (because let's face it, it happens), my favorite question to ask my self and my clients is always, “When would now be a good time?”

As always, I look forward to your thoughts, reflections, stories and comments here or on facebook!


4 comments:

TAYLOR BROOD said...

Cindy, I love this entry! I recently read the book "Outliers" and the number 10,000 sticks with me everyday. 10,000 hours needed to be an expert at anything. The difference between talent and perserverance is negligible after 10,000 hours of practice taking it a minute at a time. It gives me hope.

lminnick said...

Great things for me to think about. For some reason to me the word "habit" has, in the past, implied something negative that I do. I am going to try and focus more on the positive and find those things that trigger me back to being a better "me" so I can be better for those around me. Thanks friend!

Anonymous said...

Cindy - this post is such an important reminder -- that even if we think we have acheived our "A" game in life or professionally - staying there or more importantly moving forward takes practice and reinforcement of habits that build on our strengths. Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.