Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What does Self Esteem have to do with Productivity?

As we work to adapt to economic conditions, many companies are now expecting fewer people to accomplish more without a lot of hand holding, and with fewer resources. For organizations to survive the “more with less” tactic, they must be staffed with people who can think, learn, adapt and demonstrate flexibility. Regardless of the streamlined processes used and the up to do technology embraced, people are at the heart and soul of every business. Studies suggest that those with low self-esteem tend to be higher maintenance and perpetuate lower levels of productivity in an organization. In an era where intelligence, creativity, passion, resiliency and a willingness to make mistakes are critical, low self-esteem organizations will find it much more difficult to rebound.

Nathaniel Brandon, author of Six Pillars of Self-Esteem, observed, “Of all the judgments we pass in life, none is more important than the one we pass on ourselves” because it dramatically affects the core of our existence and everything we touch. According to Brandon, self-esteem is comprised of two components—a basic confidence in facing life’s challenges and a sense of feeling worthy of happiness and fulfillment.

To achieve and maintain productive levels of self-esteem, we must be more self-aware. Will Shutz, one of the founders of the personal growth movement, suggests “high performance in organizations is dependent on individuals who are willing to be aware of self.” That requires a self-concept strong enough to look in the mirror without feeling a need to control information that may be uncomplimentary to an individual’s position. This also means not being threatened by the successes of others or gloating over their failures. This came home when consulting with the CEO of a technology firm. We conducted an employee opinion survey which included rating people’s feelings of worth and value to the company and their teams. The ratings were extremely low. When we tabulated the results, we spoke candidly with the CEO regarding the employees’ responses. The CEO’s perception was that his people had not hired anyone they felt was a threat or better than they were at accomplishing tasks or performing a function. He observed, “I have an organization where everyone is afraid of someone performing better than they do.”

The paradox is that to improve the organization, you must first work with the underlying belief
and confidence of the individual members of that organization; especially its leaders initially. My work with values-based change has proven that: individuals always undergo significant change
before the organization does. For instance, in a leadership session I facilitated, employees of the client organization indicated they were afraid to share information, particularly in the area of telling the truth. They felt “back stabbing” was so prevalent, they would allow another person to walk off a cliff rather than speak out. After the company invested significantly in personal development, one person observed, “You have to change your approach to life before you can change your approach to business.” A supervisor from another department said, “I became a better father, a better spouse and a better little league coach. Now, I bring that better
‘me’ to work every day.”

Consider these questions:

What is my confidence?
I feel competent in most settings? Unsure? I have a need to be validated and have decisions validated?
Do I feel deserving and capable of getting the job and life I want?
I walk confidently toward my goals? Never share my goals? Don’t have goals?
Do I keep my word and commitments with myself and others?
I know when I say I will get something done, it will get done; on time? I keep some commitments and let others slip? I don’t know how to say no and get over my head?

If your answer was less desirable than you want it to be, coaching and development may be a consideration for you. I also recommend reading any of Nathaniel Brandon’s books on the subject of self-esteem. I look forward to your comments and insights!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very timely...and brave insight for these uncertain times.

Rob Lange said...

Cindy, I like these thoughts. I really believe in the value of self-esteem. I'd like to learn more. It's interesting that some of my kids have it, some don't...same gene pool, same parents/ nurturing, different results. Somewhat mysterious to me. I want to learn more.

I've found that as a grandpa, I can still be an effective teacher if I continue to learn and offer suggestions/advice judiciously. And, am I wrong in believing that much of what we learn for business also applies to marriage and family?

Best,

Rob